History Gallery 1989

 

The old RUBC clubhouse built in the 1930's was destroyed by fire in 1989 that was thought to have been started by kids smoking under the building.
The fire destroyed 5 eights (2 were empachers) 5 fours, 4 pairs, 3 clinker eights and 2 launches. total value estimated at 150,000. At the time the University had the boat stock insured for the value of 8,000!!!!
NB note to tresures, make sure the estimated replacement costs are up to date and not still at 1930's prices!!
Money for the new boathouse came form the University. RUBC members moved in with Reading Town boat club and hired boats off them for the first six months, and then lease space for the 3 boats (Janousek 8, coxed 4 and a pair) that the club could afford. The current boathouse starting being built 2 years after the original burnt down.
Thanks to Patrick Davison and Jeremy Randall for the information

 

 
 
Click here to see the opening of the clubhouse in the 1930's